re: New Gloranthan Materials with Old Rules, a.k.a. Adding the Mythic to

From: David Dunham <david_at_XK5dxXOiXw_6pcPEehJ2FRX8RBhG4MUiiHydwrSws_YAiVyEnjeVvqDSMBkdO81npbX_SP>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:47:39 -0700

Benjamin

>How easy is it or perhaps what advice do you have to translate the
>settings and peoples of HQ and it's supplements into MRQ (or BRP if
>you're more comfortable) terms? I'm fairly certain that what I'm asking
>here might not be doable as the new system has transitioned farther and
>farther away from old-school dice and stats mechanics.

I think you're taking the correct approach in not trying to convert long-running characters -- I think that's doomed to disappointment.

As for MRQ, the "Dara Happa Stirs" supplement seemed more like a HeroQuest supplement to me, in terms of its epic scope. I don't know if MRQ scales better than BRP (I'm not familiar with MRQ) -- IMO HQ handles characters over "90%" a lot better.

Given the difference in goals and styles of HQ and BRP, I think the best approach would be to treat Sartar as a source of NPCs and stories, and come up with appropriate stats that would provide a similar level of challenge for your group.

--

David Dunham