Re: New Gloranthan Materials with Old Rules, a.k.a. Adding the Mythic to the Mundane

From: L C <lightcastle_at_qp80nKSoVfT5iDOWSMUptRW2QrqCKRmaRi1nK5o0oDKahX8PEVyoGhfIXofVwvG7>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:27:56 -0400

Benjamin Ehrenreich wrote

>How easy is it or perhaps what advice do you have to translate the
>settings and peoples of HQ and it's supplements into MRQ (or BRP if
>you're more comfortable) terms? I'm fairly certain that what I'm asking
>here might not be doable as the new system has transitioned farther and
>farther away from old-school dice and stats mechanics.

I'm going to join the chorus saying that raiding HQ (1 and 2) stuff shouldn't be too difficult.
Get an idea of what your scale of "this means they are good at it" is and work from there. Use the stuff as source books to mine inspiration from but don't try doing a direct port over.

Magic, from what I have been told, works pretty differently and is likely to be the biggest stumbling block. I would, in that case, just grab the appropriate Mongoose RuneQuest cult and use it unchanged, instrad of trying to recreate the abilities of a given cult in HQ. (i.e - if they worship Orlanth, just use a MRQ Orlanth cult.)

>So I'd also like to add more mythic elements to the MRQ system, allowing
>for more flexible playing while still retaining the basic mechanics. Any
>advice?

Not sure how much you can do while keeping all the MRQ stats. Certainly you could take the core idea of a HeroQuest (stations that carry over) and just resolve each station using MRQ. I would think taking whatever effect you need and just giving it the stats necessary without worrying about balancing it would probably work for anything mythic you need.

LC