Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_iaoGC4OfXYaOA_8W7ygEB4t0PorWoZryeLh5i5NXvoETvHs2a8mEkkXu0ctJgVuPUym>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:19:12 +1200

At 04:45 p.m. 7/06/2009, you wrote:

>So, a question. Is this the general consensus? Does magic, especially
>sorcery, work differently in the different ages?

Various statements have been made to some effect or another like "sorcery made great advances" in the RQ3 rulebook.

>Could a third-age sorcerer
>who learned enough duplicate God Learner sorcery?

It's not a matter of duplicating their magic, it's more like rebuilding their network. Consider two places on the hero-plane. Normally it is quite difficult to get from one place to the other. But the God Learners build a great road which makes the journey far easier. Now their magicians are more powerful for the same amount of study.

Can this be duplicated again? When the God Learners were destroyed, the Cosmos destroyed their network that made them so powerful. The roads no longer exist. So now the magicians are weaker than they were in the Imperial Age.

>Did theism work differently?

Again there's been statements that even the Gods were changed. The most concrete evidence of changed theism that I've seen is the creation of the Near Holy Realm by the priests of Kerofinela used to make the Gods closer to their people (and which was a stepping stone to EWF).

--Peter Metcalfe