Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_zxnYnzA5Ist_4ZSn7CeF7byF9D7KgnRxEGICr18Gwrv--S0Ejj7PKElj1Fv2yWzG>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:52:11 +0200

Jeff :

> But the later points you make confuse me and I really don't get what you
getting at. Could you rephrase it?

--

Sorry, stupid Outlook didn't put in any quotation ">" thingys

The latter points a) b) c) are a response to the content given above.

So - in a nutshell, I disagree with LC when he says that there is a
consensus that new magic comes from heroquesting and that magic learned
without heroquesting simply replicates existing patterns (to paraphrase).

Because (for example) (and rephrased) :

a) interactions with otherworld beings do not necessarily require HeroQuests
so that new magic can be discovered outside the hero plane (I mean that
there is no reason why a magician could not ask a spirit to do something in
a new/inventive way, invent some unprecedented way of using some Rune or
other, nor any reason why the spirits and gods could never give new
inspiration to a magician _outside_ of heroquesting)

b) creativity exists in Glorantha, magicians can have it, and the HQ rules
at least do clearly illustrate that magic can be creatively used by
non-heroquesting types (sorry, confusing typo corrected)

This is a very old discussion, and no consensus about these matters has
ever been reached as far as I know.

Julian Lord