Re: Red Lands

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_XlaipjwOCchq1UE9qpzLU4U2Dfd8YwQv9NRe4VplhtNrYlRh_UxZfObK9GvlJsBszfI>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:06:06 +1200

At 09:45 p.m. 14/06/2009, you wrote:

>Is there any source material about the Red Lands other than the history of
>what happened in the Nights of Horrors and soon afterwards?
>It is written that Lunars try to settle colonists there, but I cannot find
>much material about it: geography, folklore, cults (guess pentans), etc.

The Von Mountains have iron in them.

In mythical times, its a borderland between the Rinliddi birdfolk and the proto-horse people. Sometime during the Gods War, people migrate out of votankiland, acquire the secret of riding horses and take over Dara Happa by the Dawn.

During the Imperial Age, Emperor Kastok settled cossack-like people (called Kastoki) in the valley to defend against the Pentan Hordes.

When the Lunars open Oraya to settlement, their initial aim was to provide HonEel with something to do and keep her out of Imperial politics. Most of the original settlers were Arrolians fleeing the White Bear Empire but since that time people from all over the empire have settled there (Dara Happans, Pelandans, Kostaddi etc).

The Satrap has large scale slave farms in the area and its one of the few places where the HonEel corn rites (ie human sacrifice) continue unimpeded.

And now the Nomads of the Four Winds have just shown up...

--Peter Metcalfe