Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: L C <lightcastle_at_RDYIGT0o9iB5uLu6Mlc8eQ3N8zHL1YBI_yEfrTEvQYvDifZSjlfInWAHTHOcoeJu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:45:00 -0400

Julian Lord wrote:

>So - in a nutshell, I disagree with LC when he says that there is a
>consensus that new magic comes from heroquesting and that magic learned
>without heroquesting simply replicates existing patterns (to paraphrase).

Oh good. Debate. :-)

>Because (for example) (and rephrased) :
>
>a) interactions with otherworld beings do not necessarily require
HeroQuests
>so that new magic can be discovered outside the hero plane (I mean that
>there is no reason why a magician could not ask a spirit to do
something in
>a new/inventive way, invent some unprecedented way of using some Rune or
>other, nor any reason why the spirits and gods could never give new
>inspiration to a magician _outside_ of heroquesting)

Fair enough. Do you have an example from canon? (Actually quite curious if there is.)

>b) creativity exists in Glorantha, magicians can have it, and the HQ rules
>at least do clearly illustrate that magic can be creatively used by
>non-heroquesting types (sorry, confusing typo corrected)

Please to give examples.

>This is a very old discussion, and no consensus about these matters has
>ever been reached as far as I know.

I'm sure it is. In the end, I'll make a version that fits my view of Glorantha and works for my game.
I'd like it to have some coherency with what's been established in canon if I can.
LC