Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: L C <lightcastle_at_TYqMtKtv-yj4ae6tf-wRwkQ2SrXEQh2i6Yi-2g9swpSYs_OAVdKftUzenBJ9EkB1>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 01:41:25 -0400

simon_hibbs2 wrote:

>The rule is that a spell (sorcery) is something you know, a feat
(Theist) is something you are and a spirit (Animism) is something you have. I believe this means that the nature of the magical ceremonies, and yes >heroquests, that are used to obtain these magics will be very different too. Perhaps sorcery is like research, theism is like sports and animism is like politics.

There does seem to be a rather large disconnect between the "know/are/have" description and the "it is all a heroquest" approach. Also the "veneration/sacrifice/ecstatic" thing.

And, of course, we are keeping this as pure worlds. I still like the idea that most religions are mixed. Most cults seem not to be, and especially if magic is really only from cults then that makes sense, I suspect.
I like the idea of a whole level of magic that is pantheon based, and that's where you see the mixed aspect that otherwise seems at best to be a smattering of common magic that the rules largely ignore.

>Materialist sorcerers learn about the magical relationships between
things and exploit this knowledge to work magic. Their heroquests reveal magical knowledge.

Interesting. Could you say more on how you see that working?

>Theists emulate their god in thought, word and deed to prove that they
are like their god and emulate the myths of their god to earn the same powers by right.
>Their heroquests prove or reveal their own magical nature.

Which is really the only one we've had described and the only description of "HeroQuest".

> Animists establish relationships with spirits by performing the
correct rites to appease, propitiate or bargain with them to gain their trust and aid.
> Their heroquests gain them magical allies (or slaves, etc).

*nod*

LC