Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_3nLXJsNBvtRXzQOxqDm5nxyVzZwYmlKkgOYjkbM_qtA3060DmJZ6RbZbgBxK1XsH>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 01:32:19 -0000

> There's also a difference in how HQs appear to the different types.
> A theist takes the place of a god interacting with other people
> taking the place of gods. An animist interacts with spirits some
> of which may once have been human but most of which never were. A
> monotheist interacts with objects which are a source of power. A
> church wizard may personify those objects but a sorcerer won't
> usually bother.

The rule is that a spell (sorcery) is something you know, a feat (Theist) is something you are and a spirit (Animism) is something you have. I believe this means that the nature of the magical ceremonies, and yes heroquests, that are used to obtain these magics will be very different too. Perhaps sorcery is like research, theism is like sports and animism is like politics.

Materialist sorcerers learn about the magical relationships between things and exploit this knowledge to work magic. Their heroquests reveal magical knowledge.

Theists emulate their god in thought, word and deed to prove that they are like their god and emulate the myths of their god to earn the same powers by right. Their heroquests prove or reveal their own magical nature.

Animists establish relationships with spirits by performing the correct rites to appease, propitiate or bargain with them to gain their trust and aid. Their heroquests gain them magical allies (or slaves, etc).

Simon Hibbs