Re: The lingua franca of Malkionism? (was: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age)

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_9GxkqbcyDyUQconC5hSyqPEf7T3e_k9w4QDcaBozkxxDTBhAscjtLGHdutNxQpctW>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:09:41 -0700

YGWV On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_bx3tLyepRrIREBcSXg9WfPv9KvZN9mwfL75hPeGAGghILTNosSMUjTMEN5eBakZ1eOnnMmTY9ZRPMwiV52GHJ8j0.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> If there is a religious language which is used for wizardry and sorcery
> instead of the vernacular, what is it?
>
> Or do different sects have their own liturgical languages, distinct from
> the vernacular? I could understand sorcerors using the old Brithini
> language, but presumably Monotheists would use another language.

The oldest, most powerful "language" is a series of sounds which, to human ears, often sounds mechanical and sharp. It is what zzabur first spoke: a precise archetypal language of Form and Reproduction.

Note that language was developed by the Kachasti ( http://www.glorantha.com/new/images/D3_V2.JPG), who are credited with activating or creating the evil people of the north (roughly, the theists).

Kachast made the first Brithin language. All subsequent Malkioni languages are developed from that. By the time of the Early Fourth Action separate languages had developed among the descendants of the original Brithini.

The Malkioni of the Explusion Walk, although exiled and hiding for generations, had the last laugh as their tongue was ancestral to the languages around the Meliomi Sea in the Ice Age which shared a written form, and an older form specialized for magic use and considered to be Zzabur's Tongue (though in fact, far from that).

The language and customs of Seshnela thrived and dominated, and all the language development from the Dawn is similar to that which would occur in our world after 1500 years.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer