Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: Alexander Entelechy <alexanderentelechy_at_HLx-8kAY79j4YMaEZbheh83myJqhwVTn4D9BDPOljHtWG1kqQyaGWuhfY>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:46:54 +0000 (GMT)

Julian lord wrote:

((But would you REALLY want to have multiple game systems for wizardry/sorcery in your actual games ? Would your players thank you if you did ?))

I think that the belief determines structure applies across the board in Glorantha. This includes theists and animists and everyone else.

The way I’m probably going to do it is this:

No one has any magical ability traits. All magical abilities are covered by keywords that deal with community relations or as a function of something you do within the community.

If you want new magic you must:

  1. incorporate the moral value structure of the magic into the community.

2) Cement it with a personal face to face confrontation with the mythic moral consequences. (my definition of a heroquest)

At this point your community has accepted the new moral order and you’ve cemented it. Your keyword now allows you to do new magic.

Other than that there’s basically no hard cap on magic you can attain or mix and match. You can become a god and float in the sky if you can convince your community that it’s cool.

My whole view point does kind of depend on all magic being essentially moral magic though. If you don’t want to question your community mores (and win), then the usual magic system works fine. I could also be out in the wilderness and have totally the wrong idea about Gloranthan magic.