Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_tIeprQ1CBQFJSh-kY-p1tkmjE4GHulM3QqjGc2vwvIWODtGhaOzO_3lNuyHQgL8fUrXa>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:33:37 -0000

> > I agree completely with this. There is a lot of Borges influence in
> the stuff that Greg and I did in Middle Sea Empire. Frex, Zistorite
> magic was not based on cybernetics but on powered prayer wheels that
> created endless combinations of the text of the Abiding Book in an
> effort to remake (and recreate) Glorantha.
>
> I was in part thinking of Abraham Abulafia's meditation techniques, and
> this sounds like an automated version is them. From Wikipedia:

The Zistorite prayer wheels were a combination of Abulafia's meditation techniques, Tibetan Buddhist prayer wheels, and the Ars Magna of Ramon Llull. FWIW, Abulafia is very influential on my understanding of wizardry. Umberto Eco wrote a book that I highly recommend, "The Search for the Perfect Language" which has several chapters that could be easily used as deep background for wizardry.

Jeff