Re: Pelandan Souls

From: Benedict Adamson <yahoo_at_BuZxneAmJBLtIB59OfPMuFqRaNuDtM-szdYkbfsOXMA86hsnLUdoCeVzVuFTY5KY3ByK-s>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:11:25 +0100

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
> There's
> also the aside (p44) in which Valare mentions that a Wendarians
> only have five soul parts in the good old days.

And 5 Elder Sisters, most of which have 5 daughters that seem suspiciously like the 5 Elder Sisters, but with different names.

How about this mythic progression?

  1. Early Green Age: Pelorians are not aware of their soul parts. They are in contact with the All/MaElsor/GloOranor.
  2. Late Green Age. Pelorians are aware that they have 5 soul parts, but they are integrated/complete.
  3. The end of the Green Age. The Gods' Errors. In particular, the DerOrian Error, at which Brightface acquires power. Eastern Pelorians now have 6 soul parts, with a new Fire/Yelm part due to Brightface. Other Pelorians retain their ancient 5 parts, but they are not integrated and have lost contact with the All.
  4. Early Golden Age. Jerontia/Jerontius re-contacts (or remains in contact with) the All through a severe ascetic mystic practice (accessed through the Harmony rune, I believe). Few others can emulate her/him.
  5. Golden Age. Idomon reveals the Jerontian Way, an easier but longer path (over many reincarnations) for approaching the All, via the Harmony rune (Kel). Followers of the Jerontian Way acquire/contact a Greater Self (sixth) soul part.
  6. Third age. Sedenya reveals the Lunar way, a new improved (saves Dara Happans and Orlanthi barbarians too!) even easier path for approaching the All, via the Moon rune. Lunarised Dara Happans acquire/contact a Greater Self (seventh) soul part.

So the correspondences could be as follows.

#) Dara Happan =

    Wendarian =
    Pelandan =
    Lunar:
1) Bird-Dayzatar-intellect =

    Addi?-reaching outside =
    Light-Idovanus =
    full-Zaytenera-return,
2) Fire-Yelm-spirit =

    (absent, pre Gods' Errors) =
    (absent, not with Brightface) =
    full half-Verithurusa-descent,
3) Heat-Lodril-animation/life =

    Alk?-inside =
    Heat/Tersu/Male-Turos =
    crescent go-Lesilla-defeat,
4) Shape-Dendara-body =

    Karanda-above =
    Decoration/Appearance/Anda?-Entekos =     dying-Gerra-meeting,
5) (absent, Greater Self) =

    (implicitly present through integration of soul parts) =     Harmony/Kel-Jerontia/Jerontius =
    black-Rashorana/Rashoran-illumination, 6) Beast-Oria-Sex =

    Beseda-base =
    Female-Oria =
    crescent come-Ulurda/Orogeria-reconstruction/hunt, 7) Shadow-Other-dirty image =

    JedaBenben?-container =
    Darkness-Gorgorma/Natha? =
    empty half-Natha-victory

NOTES
1) Addi=BaraEnDeddi="The Goddess who is Speaker and gives us the rules of Council". Vanus="speach", and Idovanus seems to have a Law/rules connection, so Addi=Idovanus seems reasonable. Also, Valare's stick talks much and names things, just like Idovanus names things.

2) Our bone of contention.

3) The Alk identification is by elimination. Alk as being about growth and therefore "life" is weak support.

4) Kar means "pure" and/or "girl/virgin". Anda seems to mean "decoration" rather than specifically "painted". Karanda would mean "decorated maiden" or "pure decorated-one", either of which would describe Entekos in her rainbow form. The idea of an air or rainbow goddess corresponding to the concept of "body" does not fit, so I speculate the Pelandan soul part means something different.

5) Much speculation here on my part.

6) Beseda means "plenty" and is identified with Oria. Dara Happa means "Land of plenty". I believe Oria means "plenty" and Pel means "land [of]", so "Peloria" means the same thing has "Dara Happa" and Pelanda means "decorated land"; I speculate that "Dara Happa" is (ironically) the name in a horse nomad language, not the native name. Only misogynist and prudish Dara Happa equates Oria and sex with beasts, so I believe the Pelandan soul part has a more neutral identification.

7) JedaBenben has eyes "ringed with black and white", which suggests Natha.