Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_3c8u6Arj7CBSBfgA3uk8nSkww19o7bPszFnk1zmMfJY1KNL_yhhO7hFA4nRPU71DtGU-e
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:22:37 GMT

In message <4A3C9537.7090302_at_RPlV2pMQ2zErVNZHj5FNmJDnu79T-Pj4RDXVv3WYSErpL_vxlZKSGK99jJ5TySdkUTvdJZmt5Rsd97ocE4nraTk.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:
>donald_at_2otm8ZIqFmfuBHus5tJTrhK1FP6wQHy6bc6VqZ57RC28UNRTVwsEIRigloxhHZrhUwYhJP2glrC457dGKGu451K_.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> >Veneration is a means whereby the magical energy (prayers) of the
> >populace is fed into the church hierarchy. Some is returned directly
> >by blessings but I suspect a lot of it is used by church wizards.
>
>Yeah, I just haven't seen it in any way reflected in the system as
>presented. The fact is that veneration/sacrifice/ecstatic is repeatedly
>presented as crucial to how the three systems do magic/worship/interact
>with their otherworlds, but have no mechanics dealing with them at all.

Not clearly explained. It is however implicit in the community support bonus. Your Heortling hero gets their clan to support them just as your Rokari hero gets their church to support them. Organised communities like the monotheistic churches will provide bigger bonuses than theistic clans and animist groups will be smaller still.

Balancing that will be the greater efficency of smaller groups.

It isn't a big factor at the level of most PCs but the church wizard appointed to the court of King Guilmarn can call on the community support bonus of the entire country. Think how much work there would be to getting all the clans of Sartar to provide that.

I think one of the key differences between veneration and other forms of worship is the lack of a direct link between expending magical energy and getting a benefit. The typical member of the church congregation gets a minor blessing decided by the priest in return for his prayers but most of the energy goes elsewhere.

>As you say,
> >In a way, yes. However the trappings are essential from a Glornathan
> >perspective. The sorcerer must have his grimoire to read from just
> >as the animist must have his mouse tail necklace to suck on during
> >the dance.
>
>All fine, but it seems over-emphasized for that.

>From a rules perspective possibly. However from a game world
perspective the differences are crucial.

> >I think most theistic HQs involve some sort of sacrifice as part of
> >the myth. At the very least there is a sacrifice of time and magical
> >energy.
>
>Yeah, but they ALL require that, so that seems not useful.

True, which is why I would go for a more explicit sacrifice being part of a theistic HQ. Probably a key station should require a suitable gift to someone.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/