Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_JFKMggYUl13zurF8Eo91iKbj9uQoOXap2S2h7s3iyXwkr1xTSBaOrrrGPmqBuDo-bla-8
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:56:21 GMT

In message <4A3C93B2.8010006_at_YJyXRKJUANY3PN1gBk41qMw-RDxkHBzcrno5lpUtDmh2IXfLX7ZPb2sHbj5flYIv2xmWaC13aHXhFGQXbZ6S-g.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:
>donald_at_7Zid7jF81w35EPBJQB74HNStAZGMba2-W0m6GJRmPUtpNAzM2uNU-LqPPUfuFodsvnN0kP6A8salCyTw94fYcuo.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> >An individual HQ will be either one or the other. You want a godi
> >for a theistic HQ, a shaman for an animist. A PC could, I suppose,
> >be both a godi and a shaman but that's going to be a weird PC.
>
>See, that's one of those cases where I want the "most religions are
>mixed" to come to the fore.

Which I don't see. Most cultures and individuals practice mixed magic but the religons are separate. There might be a community which had a combined world HQ but it hasn't been described yet.

>I don't think you need a Shaman, just a spirit-talker, just like a
>Godi doesn't have to be a priest.

A godi is a priest. They don't have to be devotees. The distinction between shaman and spirit-talker is different from devotee and initiate. The community will have confidence a godi has the knowledge of rituals required or they wouldn't have selected him. The equivelent ritual knowledge for animists is only available to shaman.

>And the "otherworld talker" could handle both worlds (Assuming you
>believe in the 3 world distinction).

I've yet to hear of a culture where a generic "otherworld talker" exists. I think the styles of worship are just too incompatable. Even among the Lunars where all styles of worship exist most cults have predominantly one style of worship. And they source all their magic from the Moon.

>The Orlanthi keep them pretty separate, though.

As do others. The Seshnealan peasant may wear a charm from the local wise woman to church but he'd be shocked by the idea of her turning up and dancing down the aisle.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/