Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: L C <lightcastle_at_UpeE0_48NVxzEmsHPTtsudqj601DGifEVjEOznWaTUmV22xKe3Mg2ikVu3-5waU3>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:21:09 -0400

donald_at_GOa3svMF5IpYx2HaAym2JN0z6oowdfBWQ9egNIZUMn2tlbrzxeNZeI30c8G5fqgx5PIMhr6rje9tZQY79uw.yahoo.invalid wrote:

>Not clearly explained. It is however implicit in the community support
bonus.

A fair point. Yes.

>Your Heortling hero gets their clan to support them just as your
>Rokari hero gets their church to support them. Organised communities
>like the monotheistic churches will provide bigger bonuses than
>theistic clans and animist groups will be smaller still.

Mmm... I don't think I've ever actually seen anything to imply that there is any bonus other than size (and maybe fervor). I do think this makes sense, thought.

>Balancing that will be the greater efficency of smaller groups.
>It isn't a big factor at the level of most PCs but the church wizard
>appointed to the court of King Guilmarn can call on the community
>support bonus of the entire country. Think how much work there would
>be to getting all the clans of Sartar to provide that.

Your saying that it is just an automatic that they can do that, since it is veneration? You don't even have to get them all on board with supporting that specific thing, it just *is* as part of the religious service?
I could get behind that.

>I think one of the key differences between veneration and other
>forms of worship is the lack of a direct link between expending
>magical energy and getting a benefit. The typical member of the
>church congregation gets a minor blessing decided by the priest
>in return for his prayers but most of the energy goes elsewhere.

*nod* That is the implication. But, the magic goes to the community, albeit through the upper class, in a big way. If you really look at it as the "chain of veneration", then some gets dropped off for the church and its priest and community, then the rest gets passed up to the bishopric (or whatever the given area has set up), then all the way up the line.

now that I type that, it is - of course - what the lunars have in ILH 2, which I think even mentions that the two systems are similar in that way.

>From a rules perspective possibly. However from a game world
>perspective the differences are crucial.

Yes, but this was one of those - IMHO many - things that the HQ1 rulebook failed at, presenting the rules in a way that stomped all over the game world and caused confusion.
I think this list agreed magic was badly presented in terms of explaining what it looked like in-world.

>>Yeah, but they ALL require that, so that seems not useful.
>
>True, which is why I would go for a more explicit sacrifice being
>part of a theistic HQ. Probably a key station should require a
>suitable gift to someone.

Mmm... Actually, I could see that as a nice subtle bit of consistency. A sacrifice to open the way is almost always necessary, and then each myth in someway involves some sacrifice, even if it was sometimes couched as a gift or losing something on the journey.

LC