Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: L C <lightcastle_at_iGqarzbhTtR_Lje4x0eSO9cq20K7kyNpPu6HjGzrzfdM9xIFJo4se_P-qXcpuIqO>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 00:12:14 -0400

donald_at_CC2lmpkLa72RdHlLXWdvuboPgrlk4VZg5DvzRFsiKN4Q_vV16uxVitGJCpO_eEtrEjEEVHl9TQTDg8HVI55kYIPS.yahoo.invalid wrote:

>The typical peasant has no idea what the magic is to be used for. Just
>that they are obliged to attend the services.

Wouldn't think otherwise.

>The local priest probably
>understands that his congregation is supporting the church but will be
>rather vague about how, what and why.

I'd think the concept is fairly clear to most. You pray up the chain, and it helps preserve the kingdom.
The details are vague, but that idea is simple enough and probably accepted by most.

>You see that because you are used to systems of top down government.

I'd be careful about such assumptions. ^_^

>A Heortling would say "Why should some wizard take my magic to
>do what I can get my cousin to do for me?" Because they are used
>to bottom up government. Of course what the peasant wants doing
>may not match what the leadership of the church thinks is important.

Of course. But this is the nature of life.

>Yes, although confused by other forms of worship and the fact that
>some of the veneration goes to the Red Goddess who provides magic
>to her followers.

*nod*
The ILH2 system is a little confusing to follow.

>The top of the tree in monotheistic societies is
>Makon who does not give any magic. Either the magical energy directed
>to him disappears or the senior people in the church use it all
>sending none to their god.

And that's a discussion I'd rather not get into. :)