Re: Saints as an access to runes (like gods)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_Xz4BxfnwJqFm_cZFT3g0-8Eh0oKzqICazK_nV-T_1WC2arBnbHik6YD2_-g2QLA_RQ>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:41:57 +1000

2009/6/22 <metcalph_at_T5nLYHohwiPdgjLP3I0IwRg2Me4ZK4okQwz_bUDIxbVKN67REQMITnKtni-h1kk6zpgCT3V9NUmc20sX3Lzas6d5Qg.yahoo.invalid>:
> That word is Thesis.
>
> <snip!>
>
> So what do you think? It has potential? Or is it a load of faeces?

Sounds great to me, although I suspect that some people are going to be grumpy about the idiom. I've always been happy to imagine grimoires and horrifically-carved caverns as well as traditional booky things though so I'm quite happy to fool around this idea.

It does make me think of something I'd wondered about for a while though: is the physical representation of the theis (the grimoire-object perhaps?) important in and of itself - or is it the ability of the user to comprehend its concepts the critical ability being represented?

I'd always assumed that book itself was necessary (you need something to comprehend afterall...) but that it was basically just a fancy talisman and could be replaced if necessary - even if at considerable bother and resource-cost.

I've had a problems with players assuming their 'book of magic' was actually a 'magic book' and I'd wondered if I'd steered them wrong in my interpretation.

--
John Machin