Re: Iron and Von Mountains

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_mJzbxfqpScBo9oQy-cpMslegGlIgwqI5k0ji2iVXtNJXaGLEsvnm1frltjIed08jRK->
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:57:18 +1200

At 11:28 p.m. 19/06/2009, you wrote:

>But more than what's inside the mines, I would need ideas on the
>organizations herobands
>military etc... the whole life around it

Since the Von Mountains actually lies outside the borders of the Lunar Empire*, I guess
that it's a lawless town equivalent to Deadwood-in-Glorantha, where they mine iron
instead of gold. So to make things easier, I would just make up thinly disguised
characters from the TV series. For example:

Al Swearsalot - extremely foulmouthed proprietor of Jewelled Saloon. Spent time in
a Teelo Norri orphanage run by Yolanela, which accounts for much of his bleak outlook on life. Murderous and manipulative.

Elma - opium addicted widow, whose late husband was from a proud Dara Happan family. She moved here with her husband who was killed in mysterious circumstances.
She owes a lot of iron-rich land but is wary of plots from her inlaws who have hired
a company of Dart Assassins.

Zhu - leader of Kralori exiles who live in their own squalid settlement. Keeps pigs
which he feeds human corpses to.

Set Bisos - bull-riding lawman from Pelanda. He came here for the iron but now he's
being called upon for keeping the peace.

Herg Garst - lunar mining magnate wealthier than a Satrap. Also extremely vicious.
Is intent on buying up as much of the Von Mountains as he can. Has dart assassins at his beck and call.

*So why doesn't the Satrap extend his borders unilaterally as he can do? I suspect that the instant, he includes the Von Mountains his opponents at the Imperial Court will immediately denounce him for plotting treason and the probability high that the Emperor will agree. So he is currently buying friends in and out of the court in order to secure Imperial permission to annex the Von Hills.

As for the military, there will be detachments wandering about looking for the horse-worshippers that follow the Four Winds of Pent. But currently the nearest nomads are on the far side of the mountains.

--Peter Metcalfe