Re: Saints as an access to runes (like gods)

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_0H3qsOvHRIV-YcO_0DEImRKK--3KMjuYQgEIkmS_wRZIm6sVPWkvbj-Czktt6lK6>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:22:13 -0700 (PDT)

Peter says:

> On the subject of Grimoires and their creation, I have a strong
> feeling that we are being sidetracked by a word that creates the
> wrong impression (such that progress in sorcery is about making magic
> books). Instead I want to describe them using a new word that will
> give us a better understanding of what it's all about.
>
> That word is Thesis.

Then he explains at length.

I think this metaphor shift is brilliant. For me, at least, I had been seeing these books (magic books and holy books, regardless of whether they are perfect-bound or carved on a cave wall) as purely physical. I didn't get how it appeared on the essence plane. "Node" isn't really evocative for me. This, however, is highly evocative:

> On the other side, a sorcerors thesis takes the form of a an vague
> image or representation of him at the appropriate runic node.
> Increasing the thesis potency means that the image becomes more
> defined until the point at which every detail is clear whereupon the
> sorceror is a fully fledged philosopher and his thesis can be studied
> by other sorcerors (or wizards) for spells. Normally one has to pay a
> visit to the runic node but the sorceror can make things easier by
> publishing a grimoire, a book magically linked to his thesis.

In retrospect, it's now obvious for me that the book itself has no representation in the essence plane as such. Because a spell is what you know, the book's representation in the essence plane is the person carrying knowledge of it.

So, if you run into a guy on in the air node whose outlines are perfectly clear, he's a windy badass, regardless of how much he looks like a pencil-necked geek.

> So what do you think? It has potential? Or is it a load of faeces?

W00t!

Chris Lemens