Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_tv0_QjUGwwhRdypCeJkOixg195JXsaUYwPz2JkJNcutNyEixj8kJBIb5XnxsrxBxTdlLA
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:47:21 GMT

In message <4A3F0383.6090002_at_G3CL9kTxDfqtLxQm4ty6WzlcUJsd-SJHpttUB0jons_gnAJEOu2gGlEbVtvS_lQJdLk4-OB7JwzWN2taidavc_0mRA.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:

>Richard Hayes wrote:
> >FWIW I thought the Propitiators described in Blood over Gold were
> >pretty close to this -- more spirit-talker than anything else, but
> >appeasing or otherwise dealing with otherworld entites from all planes

>I know Jeff wanted to focus on a more "mixed pantheon" approach with the
>Wenelians. Rereading it, it does seem an example of the kind of thing
>I'm talking about. Common magic but knows the rules of many worlds, may
>be in a cult if necessary.

They know how to deal with entities from various other worlds which doesn't mean they can travel to or in those other worlds.

A devout Rokari priest knows how to exorcise spirits from the material world but that doesn't make him an animist.

My reading of propitiators is that generally they use common magic to deal with all sorts of entities although in specific cases may learn other sorts of magic.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/