Re: Changed magic in 2nd and 3rd Age

From: donald_at_BR9862TzRZGwfmgwUtciKhm0VUnt6A5VREmD4ZYzsOEHa0IMwGAH3DoBJpgYAIr9l1euY
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:50:55 GMT

In message <4A3F049E.30701_at_4ve0k42nw--fv7junXhuYZmrBBFufHobvaH82GRkqk0Q2IaXxDCC2Wo-Vu3uBN2Dsy-JWALfTV9g9x0X-njGnjI.yahoo.invalid> L C writes:
>donald_at_fJO9yY1rnYJYK8ZX4kzMoZPJ2fYxa7_j1dDGxLG63I2nzK4ZSb-hK2HkC1iSEqSpi5bpve4hp642Smqm1UuC9Vo.yahoo.invalid wrote:

> >The local priest probably
> >understands that his congregation is supporting the church but will be
> >rather vague about how, what and why.
>
>I'd think the concept is fairly clear to most. You pray up the chain,
>and it helps preserve the kingdom.
>The details are vague, but that idea is simple enough and probably
>accepted by most.

I'm reminded of the medieval pope who wrote about the low level of literacy among parish priests and how it was leading to errors of doctrine and heresy. I don't see the lower ranks of Malkioni clergy as any better.

> >You see that because you are used to systems of top down government.
>
>I'd be careful about such assumptions. ^_^
>
> >A Heortling would say "Why should some wizard take my magic to
> >do what I can get my cousin to do for me?" Because they are used
> >to bottom up government. Of course what the peasant wants doing
> >may not match what the leadership of the church thinks is important.
>
>Of course. But this is the nature of life.

No it isn't, it's the nature of the feudal (and modern) society. The clansman would just withdraw his support and divert the magical resources into what was important to him.

> >The top of the tree in monotheistic societies is
> >Makon who does not give any magic. Either the magical energy directed
> >to him disappears or the senior people in the church use it all
> >sending none to their god.
>
>And that's a discussion I'd rather not get into. :)

Nor I. It belongs in the realm of how precisely that bit of your Glorantha works. Possibly worth exploring in game, otherwise not.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/