Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_vCxwpmQ2xGAXjx2YJQtziuBDOqhDFK0iL-bPhCbPXXP8Sk_qWkVudS9HZuSHvd4sT>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:58:37 -0700

YGWV On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM, <donald_at_ktz74UahL8wD7-AejtEx1oBTdD2SSXE18YZ-reJhJFtDMIwM4EW1s15QENKGpGQcpwjke1CoSHpmGSVjloxl.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> In message <b22cfc220907061652p5611ec41q3b7af89a9c7563f0_at_Z4XMUmKa9_fjHTMkkENLl-FhH28pygwwGb6rXIuxJpyABrOKHXb3EX0MOWtf8ioc5dZrwz6v-pNZGvsfxubwsXA1H_kotzlIxYeSW--8R9j3HOU8imu_7XIPdWv4j4ytv1Nb.yahoo.invalid>
> Todd Gardiner writes:
> >On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 1:52 PM, <donald_at_ktz74UahL8wD7-AejtEx1oBTdD2SSXE18YZ-reJhJFtDMIwM4EW1s15QENKGpGQcpwjke1CoSHpmGSVjloxl.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> >>
> >> The designer is probably a wizard while a carpenter follows the
> >> wizard's instructions to actually build it. The mathmatics involved
> >> in the design will be beyond most members of the other castes.
>
> >Not all siege weaponry requires knowledge of mathematics, such as
> >siege towers or battering rams.
>
> How high do you build your siege tower? Without climbing the wall
> to measure it?

Easy.You estimate how high the doorway is ("two people high") and multiply that times the number of times higher the wall is. Boy Scouts learn this at about age 13.

OK battering rams don't require mathmatics.

> > Although quibbling about this goes against my point. I was reaching
> >for examples of tasks that *might* be defined as different castes
> >from group to group.
>
> I see lots of tasks being split in different ways to the way we would
> split the same task today. Caste boundaries being one of the reasons.

And I want to emphasize that there is oom for interpretation in this, because YGWV

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer