Re: Caste

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_3zBBJ-c54xbN0ZaO3tb36Qw29S32qO152J6oaFKI_7LgxC1QkWadibClnjelIxnnV>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 12:05:32 -0700

YGWV On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:48 AM, ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_BlCz10srMi80B86HCKFiWQ3AtUgM5wamxdjARtRDjzrSy5jbmvM1PBTqJX6cZxJHyCNoiaaIEP_qJoAkzKrbR2o.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> wrote:
>
> > > Even among the Rokari, that's an accurate description of the
> > > clergy. All
> > > the senior and mid-ranking members of the clergy are wizards, of
> > > course, and
> > > have the best magic, but the bottom rung includes commoners,
> > > knights, and nobles.
> >

> > No it doesn't.
>
> We may be disagreeing about the meaning of the word 'clergy', here.

I think so.

You have said several times before that, among the Rokari, the leaders of
> religious services have to belong to the same caste as their congregation.

The Professor asks (and greg begs): "Source?" I would like to see the source to qualify or greg myself on this point.

> Now, these low-ranking liturgists are not your full-blown sorcerer types
> (most of them can't even read - they just know a few blessings they've
> learned by rote), but they are 'clergy' in the sense in which I mean it.

You are 100% right in this.
Importantly: they are a key link in the Rokari pyramid scheme of Veneration.

A part of that mumbled weekly worship links the liturgist and his congregation, albeit briefly, into the whole network of that Veneration. Everyone who is linked in experiences the collective spirit, and perhaps even its contact with their creator. The village priests, these illiterate liturgists, preach that the momentary timelessness of that experience is a taste of the Hereafter, etc.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer