Re: Caste

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_VIBVQwz1ziQjOfaVH0m66cbMkI78EwN8YprEKYWxEBHly40Z8BTaEvEM1V0Rds5517zH>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 14:35:40 -0000

> Lecturer?

Again, I think that gives inappropriate connotations in English.

> I would call this kind of position a "Pastor" if you want to find a term that can suggest the actual function of these officers to people who are not familiar with Glorantha (or with the West): a religious officer who teaches the Scriptures.

I understand the suggestion, but I do not want to suggest to people unfamiliar with Glorantha than the Malkioni are essentially modeled on Christianity and its churches. Too many people already make that assumption!

At the core of most Western religion is the written word. Although this is shared with RW Christianity, it is also shared with the Gathas of Zorastrianism or the many many sects of Judaism in antiquity and history. Islam, Hellenistic Neoplatonism, and The Great Hymn to the Aten are also good sources of inspiration.

Finally, the Gloranthan West is not Medieval Europe. It bears some superficial resemblences to it - but then again, so did 16th century Japan. The Orlanthi are not the British Celts, the Seshnegi are not 12th century France, although you can certainly draw ideas from both of those RW cultures. I just want people to understand that there are many many other sources of inspiration to draw on for the Gloranthan West, and not to use game terms which automatical lend to the assumption that the Gloranthan west is Medieval Europe.

Jeff

Jeff