Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_1nDfmhtPC_PwJ3uqzHvqZ4VSkw64FRLEOwQ8SyfLbZz_gpFfSdATGCNq23VrEdFF1HL>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:57:47 +1200

Paul King wrote:

> Thus if we assume that Veskarthen's control over vulcanism is solely
> due to the Earth Rune

Veskarthen's runes are not given. Only Lodril's are. Saying that Veskarthen does not have any fire runes when he (and not Lodril) has got active volcanoes on his turf seems to me to be needless.

My preferred solution is to say that Ernalda (and other female earth deities such as Oria) embody the female powers of the earth. Lodril, Turos etc are male deities and can do what women cannot but not do what women can. But in the end it boils down to a difficult test to duplicate.

> As an aside, if Earth is able to control Fire, maybe Mahome should be
> a (minor) aspect of Ernalda.

Gloranthan magic is never going to fit in with whatever theory we can construct about it so I think it best if we just allow the tricky bits to exist rather than seek to change them to conform with whatever prevailing magical theory is embedded in the current rules iteration.

Finally I note that MoLad p53 has earth overcome air and fire being overcome by water.

--Peter Metcalfe