Re: Empty spaces?

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_W_3wM-wjflIh8580YhrSE8hO89IV0u6TpnubqK3tzjpsxGdmNTlKmyyAqFlNiDRq1sQ>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:47:40 -0000

> Not sure if this is a worthwhile question, but I was curious if
> Glorantha has any empty spaces left in it, and if so, where are
> they. When I say 'empty spaces', I mean an area that has been left
> undefined in published material, possibly intentionally so, as a
> place for gaming groups to invent and fill in (or not) as they see
> fit.

There are a great many areas that have been only vaguely defined, and some of them are large enough that there must be many smaller areas within them that have not been described at all. I don't think, however, that there are any formal "blank lands" these days - places that the writers guarantee to leave alone, so that GMs can use them without fear of contradiction.

Having said that, there are plenty of areas where the chances of contradiction any time soon are pretty damn low. This is particularly true in Pamaltela, much of which is described in broad brush-strokes, but has never been done in any sort of detail. What, for instance, has really been done with Maslo? Even in Genertela, there are plenty of small to moderately sized places here and there that could contain almost anything, or where the sum total description so far amounts to a single sentence.

And, if you write about it first, and get that published somewhere (say, in Tradetalk), it's entirely possible that your vision will become the one that others follow. Consider the Aulorey nation, recently published in Tradetalk #15 - nobody had ever done anything with that particular corner of the world before, and there's plenty more like it round and about.

Assuming you don't want to be contradicted when a publication *does* come out (if you don't mind about that, it's obviously much easier) then we usually do have a rough idea where particular groups are - the West has knights, the Orlanthi live in the barbarian belt, and so on. But how specific tribes of non-Heortling Orlanthi live, or what a particular Lunar city may be like, etc., is often a mystery, and, in many cases, is likely to remain one for some time. Unless, of course, you choose to write something set there yourself...

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/