Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Deezola

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_gAVm-nuSD58IaxTWqtozyMXHfgi1-9vh2MZVO5iREY0N5qPyGmklA-2bBITy>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:57:10 +0000 (GMT)

This rune is important for this goddess-- maybe more so than 'trade', I can see a role for trade too, as a secondary, descriptive rune, unless maybe that idea of exchange can be covered by 'balance' too?).

However would a Lunar cult such as Deezola call the rune 'balance' or 'moon'?

If they call it 'moon', where does that leave the source of Deezola's earth powers? (Gods are not supposed to have two elemental runes). Could one say that Deezola has 'earth' powers through the moon rune, or vice versa? (It doesn't seem to work as well as e.g. Zorak Zoran's limited fire powers which he stole from Yelmalio,  but maybe it still works well enough)

Whereas if it is called 'balance', does this create the paradox of a Lunar cult denying the importance of the moon as the force for balance?

Maybe there is a special problem with runes and the Lunar Way.  Perhaps especially in the case of the individual cults of the Seven Mothers who were renegade priests of other cults, (and whose cults were at one level lunarized versions of their earlier cults), the old approach to runes seemed to define a Lunar cult's runes by what the cult did, then adding a moon/balance rune to it, to show that they did it by reference to moon/balance as well.

This would still work at the level of descriptive runes, but it would give some hard choices as to which runes delineated the god/cult's areas of magical power -- especially when an element other than moon is also involved

Richard Hayes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_TjKzT6675gp5KEtus7UKR3OWtGLoONrcC4a4Ki_HJ6LOl3KAqKJbDpBhkio2_Et2ujmOiBwTjtle.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, 2 August, 2009, 3:26 AM

2009/7/31 valkoharja <rintasaa_at_S93TtcowYVperAsuNLaPgqDPES2TK540G-8njks4mMgkSKi-2SewXHhdQalauhIvo1aZRmDoz479-QE.yahoo.invalid>:
>> The difficulty with this is that we get runes which negate parts of
>> other runes and it may not be clear what is being negated or how.
>> E.g. Deezola has a limited form of ressurrection in that someone
>> has to die in the ressurrectees place. So you modify Chalana Arroy's
>> Harmony rune with what? Death?
>
> Sounds like [Balace] or [Trade] (exchange).

Balance for sure, IMO. How can you go past a Moon/Balance rune for Deezola?

--
John Machin