Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Deezola

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_5sh-EErNYZ42ej4lNZ-2cb0BmzW7xtYcoRKs87jJjt-cIuWHhv6xcYL8nppOXUejEa>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:12:15 +1000

2009/8/2 Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_b6QnQOplGvhorKldIs77DyZ42lG3OHAcDxq3UGNkTtN2DqcqmA-kWOa3Kq4hX9TLBdeCjNKZZytnJl0QAFHZLiO5d-dy.yahoo.invalid>:
> If they call it 'moon', where does that leave the source of Deezola's earth
> powers? (Gods are not supposed to have two elemental runes). Could one say
> that Deezola has 'earth' powers through the moon rune, or vice versa? (It
> doesn't seem to work as well as e.g. Zorak Zoran's limited fire powers which
> he stole from Yelmalio,  but maybe it still works well enough)

Well, if I am going to play rules lawyer I could say "The Moon is a condition not an element rune". However, as a seeker of the Lunar illumination I know that this is nothing more than Rebel Propaganda. ;)

Personally, I think that the Lunar Way's abilities to integrate the powers of other gods, either by "healing"/transforming them (like Star Bear/Moon Bear) or by immortalising followers of the other gods (like the 7Ms) allow for strange rune combinations. Perhaps this is proof of the Moon's superior religious technologies, or perhaps it is proof of the horrible weirdness that it's links to Chaos can facilitate, or perhaps it is both (and one and the same?).

The Moon might allow the integration (should I say Inclusion instead?) of foreign powers. it is interesting to note that in ILH2 Deezola kept her healing (Harmony rune) powers, but not her Earth powers. Similarly Davadeezola retained her Rulership (Mastery rune) powers, but not her Earth powers. Otherwise the magic of Deezola looks a lot like Ernalda the Healer with the Earth bits filed off, and Davadeezola looks a lot like Ernalda the Queen with the Earth bits filed off. This may suggest that it is not possible to retain those elemental connections, but personally I just see them as having been discarded or lost for convenience. I don't have any problem with Moon followers striving to integrate other powers - including those of other Elements.

I see it as the natural and logical process of the Lunar Way at work on the universe.

Assuming big dragons don't wake up and ruin everything, of course.

YGWV! (mine looks like it will have the [Lunar!] players trying to stop the Moon Temple's construction, rather than some dragon - for example)

--
John Machin