Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Guy Hoyle <guy.hoyle_at_5IMHEm4oJc8EbDtv6nvofgh-Fcyv2zuIp3tc7n1SUpux3k--CKD3ADf3fzv4DEChgs>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:30:11 -0500

I really admire the richness and complexity of Gloranthan mytholgy and society; that's not sarcasm, that's my true belief. However, I sometimes wish I could go back to the days when I UNDERSTOOD the world (and the game) enough that I could run it with confidence. Intellectually I grasp that Barntar is an Air god, and Lodril is an Earth god, yet that's something I'm likely to forget again and again, because it just doesn't seem to fit. Barntar just seems to be an earth god because I associate plowing with fields and planting and harvest; I have to consciously remember that when Orlanth worship was forbidden, the Orlanthi "hid" withing Barntar's worship, because both Orlanth and Barntar have the Air rune. I just re-read the original Cult of Lodril description (which gives him the runes of fire and disorder), and I remembered the fire associations (spear, volcano, wildfire), etc. much more than the farming associations.

I'm just grousing and frustrated right now, and ultimately it's not going to affect me because I don't think I'll even have the opportunity to run a HQ Glorontha game. I just wonder how newbies take to this kind of thing.

Guy (Hoyle)