Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_pZ8CP8SjC_K3LaEc0Mdc6ajHpNG0UWE0Tmqsf5pLKt_rTZtSdy36b8NvOuhGPzKv9SG>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:18:57 +1200

Guy Hoyle wrote:
> I just re-read the original
> Cult of Lodril description (which gives him the runes of fire and
> disorder), and I remembered the fire associations (spear, volcano,
> wildfire), etc. much more than the farming associations.

Look at the magics of Lodril in the cult writeup you just referred to and ask yourself whether they are good for farming or peasantry in general.

Heat Metal
Create Bonfire
Create Wildfire
Cremate Dead
Earthwarm
Firespear
Reduce Flame
Suppress Lodril

Real useful for the god of most adult males in Peloria and peasants in particular (described as such as far back as Gods of Glorantha which was published in 1985!).

So if the fire associations were more vivid in your memory, it's because there was a big disconnect between what was written about Lodril in glorantha and what the rules gave him in terms of magic.

--Peter Metcalfe