Re: Lodril

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_GIt6wjvsQuOjVsxQyT88Kh0Pz0OGhf1LhIu1uYBsskKJMhrmsm9IXvF6bpvud1GKEf6>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:51:57 +1200

Looking at the combined mythology of Lodril:

Lodrili can cause earthquakes. Although the history mentions city walls being destroyed, I daresay the Lodrili will have a feat like "Shakes Down Foe".

Lodril's farming magics are primary due to wet rice farming. There are dry farmers who grow Barley, Millet and Beezil but they either came from the Sky People or from Pelanda.

The main farming magics are related to the occupations of supervision of other workers, digging hard earth (with mattock), digging soft earth (with shovel), harvesting, threshing, milling, wood-cutting, carpentry, potting and portage.

Lodril's primary weapons are either wrestling or his tools (mattock, sickle etc). Only one Lodrili carries a spear (Gerendetho) and Lodril himself wields not a spear but a staff. Hence spear magic seems to me to be compatible with Lodril but not intrinsic to him.

Lodril in his capacity as God of the underworld wields a bone staff and has the power to send evil curses on the wicked. The most awful of these curses is Monster Man. How bad is Monster Man? Well after Nysalor caught him, Arkat was sent to hell in Monster Man's care until he was rescued by Harmast.

The Lodrili can make clay golems similar to the Jolanti. They have no consciousness of their own and so I assume they must be commanded before they will do anything. If a Lodrili wants more autonomy for his golem then he has to visit the priests of other gods. This can be used for metal and other materials but its more difficult.

The Lodrili can raise a person's warmth. This is usually done with benign intentions like giving him extra energy, raising his libido or keeping warm in cold conditions (reducing warmth would be antithetical to Lodril IMO). In certain circumstances, this can be harmful or even deadly - the priests of "Blows from Within" used it to kill.

The Lodrili can break their oaths of allegiance to a Yelmic noble without attracting any agents of reprisal. The only cost is that they must eventually return to that noble and say that they're sorry.

Complicating this picture is Turos who unlike Lodril seems to have kept his fiery connections (the counterpart is that he doesn't have Lodril's increased control over the underworld I assume). Certain magical practices and myths of Turos are compatible with Lodril but others are not. An example of this might be metal-working.

--Peter Metcalfe