Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_42SL3MnpYxOQ6TcAElNLyNIQt4ULsleLKWkfj-kZz0aFXF902_W2UryGzkQX>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 10:28:54 +0000 (GMT)

Whither the cult of Caladra and Aurelion, which used to have both the Earth and Fire or Fire/Sky runes?
What would that cult's runes be today?

Richard Hayes

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_o7rqnNV-49ctFls6JUk24MuEeygap3olkULx7XEke_wvmVB9-HlzrTm_EHEo407LUX7njnElvVrS.yahoo.invalid> Subject: Re: Opposing runes and the circle of elements - Lodril To: WorldofGlorantha_at_yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, 3 August, 2009, 3:19 AM

2009/8/3 markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_XEMYa1PvW6paFJzv5OvfR7ddN2ndhF5W-4yfMY_Rx-sqUJ9rq3OZdvcmBOyOKUZXGlE-VuTRNnKoWX5rjxW7.yahoo.invalid>:
> But that's Yelm. Lodril definitely isn't a sun god, regardless of his
> association with fire.

Yeah, but Yelm stays in the sky smiling (frowning!) down on us. Lodril is the one who falls to earth and gets stuck-in with the Earth. If people want to say that is "Fire in the Earth" or "Heat" that is cool, but it sure sounds like it is a kind of Fire to me.

(Then again one of my player's uppity Rigsdali ended up picking Fire, Mastery, and Stasis to represent his image of his character. I am quite happy to say that his "Fire rune" allows him access to Star-based stuff rather than pyromancy or sun-beams.)

I have to say though, I am at a bit of a loss as to why gods other than the "Element run holder" cannot have multiple elements. I mean, the physical universe seems to hold together fairly well despite being a mix of elements so they can't be entirely inimical. Fire and Darkness could be tricky, admittedly, but Earth seems happy to get down with basically anyone else. Why this decision that gods should have only one Element?

--
John Machin