Caladra and Aurelion

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_ztAockR5mPXbTd2untpIzc8p7c3RnR6ENmg5eQgO0eZa9HiDgCGW4xWCAU-Rv46qCHp>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 20:01:42 +1200

Looking over the cult, I'm not bothered by the monomythed mythology considering the background of the founders. The only major note I would say is that "Lodril" in the text is actually the existing cult of Caladra/Veskarthen. I also don't think Tessele can be worshipped by the cult anymore.

The history is a bit more troublesome. The reformers that saved the cult from destruction happened to be the original founders of the cult? So where were they when the twins were marrying each other? There's also the problem of the timeframe which was practically non-existant when the cult was being developed.

Secondly the nature of the reformation seems dubious. I don't think the Elder Powers of the Cosmos on a Crusade to Destroy All God-Learners Everywhere would be at all impressed by the renunciation of incest and promises to be good in the future. Why not include an oath to pay their taxes on time and to be kind to small cute furry animals as well? Because that would have the same impact.

Stewie wonders how the cult got off the ground. We are both agreed that the core of the cult is Harmony. My thinking is that the cult was a offshoot of the Zistorite School of Harmony (aka the Connectivists - the Middle Sea Empire p46-47)). Otherwise it seems odd to me that Two God Learner organizations could be operating in the same area and have nothing to do with each other.

Now the Connectivists tried to draw invisible linkages with each other.   The cult of the Twins was an attempt to draw a connection between Fire and Earth using two similar deities with different runes (Caladra/Fire and Aurelion/Earth) and get rich from the created synergies. Now the question is did they try it elsewhere?

Looking at the myths - they are rebuffed by Dayzatar, they cannot find Flamal and they go to war with Argan Argar and end up with a compromise. So the Connectivists tried to forge a link with Ezkankekko (who was justifiably defiant) with Dayzatar? And they are friends with the Mostali yet are hatred by Elves suggests another motivation for their flamal quest - they tried to forge a union between Grower and Maker.

Turning attention to the reformation, it seems to me that the reformations were probably introduced at a point of a sword by Ezkankekko and/or the New Unity Ring. The Cult of the Twins in Caladra were required to betray everything they knew about Zistorela and adopt certain taboos to stop them getting too powerful.

--Peter Metcalfe