Re: Runes of the Oronin Valley: the Bulls

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_4ag0FBD92piz5DL6K-xiaOeJgq32ed_-zVPkkm3QJOubvqLdXJV6SY_nzbTk7eZe-k>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 18:01:00 +1000

2009/8/4 Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_Ypp5Cnng8yHcgMAQjHCA3uCazlt4fbKPskx0B7L4FAxPJlcRAJuas65uw7Ly75YYont8B1E-sRkOn6JHvbOWD0sKem8.yahoo.invalid>:
> Cavalry alone doesn't win wars.  If the Carmanians use Daxdarian
> cultists for garrison duty, they are wasting their assets.

Indeed!
Hard bastards with spears tend to do fairly well against even heavy cavalry. Slightly pissed-off burghers with spears tend to do fairly well against heavy cavalry too, if they can hold a line worth a damn.

(How did these spear chaps get beaten by these cavalry chaps again?)

> Humakt doesn't ride a horse in his mythology so it's a bit of a stretch
> to make him a god of cataphracts.

Wait a sec, I saw Pale Rider...

But really... seems weird that the principle warrior god of a people who's pinnacle warriors ride horses doesn't also ride a horse. This suggests one of two things:
(a) Humakt isn't their premier warrior god (b) Humakt has some horse-riding myths we've not recovered Is it at all possible that some mythic follower of Humakt said to his chums "You know, if I got on this horse I'd be able to kill people a whole lot more effectively and they wouldn't be able to run away so well" and started the whole thing off?

--
John Machin