Re: Runes of the East Isles gods

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_PSeVRlVA0N0zSoZkoCZv6GFkSr-kFlWuBHIMJdGWOE4qfIlxgjCyRazfWIBQ9k>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:58:52 -0700

The part that doesn't make sense to me is matching up a rune shared by all/most of the gods of a pantheon with the runes held by their theistic worshipers.
Do people in that culture have the Infinity rune themselves, thus allowing access to magic for the infinity rune if they initiate to these gods? That sounds kind of off to me. Just as much so the "Cosmic Order" or whatever. I don't see people gaining magic in this area.

To me, the runes you would list for a god are only those that grant magic to the initiates, even if you could not approach initiation through that rune. Thus, even through Orlanth has does things to make Harmony when agreeing with his wife and he has used the Death Rune to kill the Emperor, these are minor aspects and specific deeds, but not approaches that grant magic to his followers. (Except, perhaps through a subcult that focuses on such things to gain a specific feat.)

(And, just as Hwin Dalthippa has done many, many things with magic, in my Glorantha she only grants magic through Moon and Mastery).

In fact, I don't even want to *think *about humans (and others) having full magic powers from the Infinity rune unless they are Superheroes, like Harrek.

While it may be true that many people in this culture choose to follow a fourth path and develop magic through Mysticism, the lay people don't do this. Nor can they depend on gurus and mystics that are becoming further detached from the world to help them with magic at planting time. So some sort of magic has to be coming to the population to withstand the rigors of a very hostile and magical Glorantha. Which brings us back to the "practical" rune description of the gods in their pantheon.

--Todd