Re: Runes of the East Isles gods

From: nils_w <nils_at_srlWOUV2sgKMK3a5Xs_8YwfMsYCfY8F2akxnOxI6OdNbm5WeXXgj4X9AfasAWdmoYiFkBkY>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 20:28:47 -0000

No, not at all, that's not what I meant. The High Gods might have Infinity, but they are like the Celestial Court, unreachable. You cannot worship in a theistic way.

> Just as much so the "Cosmic Order" or whatever. I
> don't see people gaining magic in this area.

No, not magic, but IMO this is the only rune which is actually helpful in mysticism (as it is connected to the expansion of consciousness.

> To me, the runes you would list for a god are only those that grant magic to
> the initiates, even if you could not approach initiation through that rune.

OK, for me the listed runes define the nature of the god, but do not necessarily give any magic.

> While it may be true that many people in this culture choose to follow a
> fourth path and develop magic through Mysticism, the lay people don't do
> this.

Important caveat here, mysticism is by definition non-magical. That said, most mystic cults are imperfect and do grant magic powers. These are not actually mystic thoughand are in fact detrimental to eventually reaching liberation.

> Nor can they depend on gurus and mystics that are becoming further
> detached from the world to help them with magic at planting time. So some
> sort of magic has to be coming to the population to withstand the rigors of
> a very hostile and magical Glorantha. Which brings us back to the
> "practical" rune description of the gods in their pantheon.

Absolutely.

/Nils W