Re: Why is the Wenelian tradition anti-bird?

From: donald_at_I0XenNZR0I-yhEEKE3hX3yWerBP03mZxZIQV4GpCX6aoxXpm5foQ9UMZXq78gLGJNlyxt
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:24:35 GMT

In message <h62v1a+au38_at_eGroups.com> "Jeff Richard" writes:
>> >P.S. 20 miles a day in Sartar? Walking? Have you seen the topography?
>>
>> Yes, it's very similar to Wales where I've walked. Sartar has probably
>> more paths and roads because its more settled than most of Wales is
>> today.
>
>Sorry, but Sartar has very little topographically in common with Wales
>and much less settled than Wales. Snowdon would be simply one of the
>foothills in much of Sartar (about the same height as the Starfire
>Ridges if I recall). If you want an European area for comparison, look
>at the Tirol or S=FCdtirol.

Pity that the Starfire Ridges are described in the key as rough hills then. Snowdon is a mountain and not the only mountain in Wales. Not only that but less than a third of the area of Sartar is mountains or rough hills.

As far as settlement goes the modern population of Wales (2.7 million) is heavily concentrated on the south and east edges with some towns along the north coast. The centre and much of the north has very few towns and the farms are much smaller and more spread out than Heortlings would be comfortable with. But that's modern agriculture, the rural population would have been much bigger in earlier times although the total population would have been less.

>The map in Sartar will make this rugged topography very evident.

So nothing like the currently published maps?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/