Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: chrphrgrv <chrphrgrv_at_9vjR_bi3e_1iDl08iwIuvrOw4FI-6fqFTgHRVA_B8rTK2B_3aDw9CCFTrQcbMp9nV2>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:32:59 -0000

Checking back I have to say that Questlines is the only published source I have for "blue flame temple" I believe it is in reference to the temple spirits of a Yelmic temple of the variety 'enduring' eventually to become Yelmalio Enduring.

I'm sure I'm not enlightening anyone here with the following but here is my perspective on the literature or at least part of it. John Hughs goes a long way (if I recall correctly partially in notes outside of Questlines) toward explaining how the Yelmalio cult eventually comes to Alda Chur over the century before the hero wars. Before this, I believe the Farwalkers, being made up of two general cultures pressed out of the long boiling cauldron of the plains of Peloria, are largely a combination of Orlanthi Hillman including many Elmali cultists and Lodrili lowlanders with some Yelmic leadership. The traditional and conservative Yelmic influences are strengthened and focused over a couple of centuries by this temple and increasing contact with Darra Happan influences carried south with the expansion south of the Luner Empire. Hughs calls this cult node Yelmalter to account for the variation in language and religion from the Manirian push into Dragon Pass founded on a different Theyalan cultural spur. It's all thought out very well and takes into account the online conversation over a number of years about how Yelmalio is a constructed or placeholder diety and also the very separate development (previously worked out elsewhere)of the new Yelmalian sun dome temple in Sartar. I honestly don't know how much of this is original with Hughs and how much he has coaxed over the years from Gregg or others, but it all fits very well with anything officially published on the subject though this seems very little. If Johns work isn't canon, of very close to canon, I think it ought to be. Added to great care with the available sources is a great deal of anthropological and biological research, a great imagination and not a little flair with the pen. So far as I can tell, John has done the most work on the Far Place, up until the recent Zinn Letters, which are also excellent.

I don't know where convention and canon ultimately stand on a yelmic cult center in Alda Chur, but I would add that every illustration or map of Alda Chur that I have been able to acquire whether fan based or mainline, prominently features one or more yelmic or even sun dome style temples in them. It also makes sense that long enduring yelmic spirits would have been found at an abandoned yelmic temple from the what was likely a long settled site even before the EWF. I guess they don't have to be called blue flame spirits but that goes nicely with the nearby volcano and the lodrili/ undercurrent of farming on the Sharl.

> Let's look at the published description in DP:
>
> "Only some bizarre architecture remains, including the glass walls, and the new city surrounds it. Several delicate towers, a cluster of curiously organic buildings, and myriad double and triple gateways soar amid curving, twisting streets built since Resettlement."

If that's the only description of AC yet again in the new DP book that's regrettable. Are there any plans to officially expand on this topic in the near future? It seems unlikely from what I have read. I guess I am in the minority with an interest in this area.

> Sounds to me like some minor settlement that may have been the center of a strange EWF school of mysticism. Maybe one involving gateways.... :)

lol, ;)

Red Mother I am a long winded bastard! Any further enlightenment on anything referenced would be much appreciated.

Chris