Re: What lies beneath Alda Chur???

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_vwu1NqTHAUxWkElCcSuMxCVcHq2LWdWmsap0ZH82DdW1pI9YcOD7zNLpP90KjA9IdTB>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 19:14:39 +1200

chrphrgrv wrote:

> Surely, the Far Walkers had no Yelamlian cultists when they arrived
> in the area. The only people worshiping Yelmalio in 1357 ST when the
> Far Walkers crossed the Dwarf Run and entered The Far Place were the
> conservative land holders in Sun County far away along the Zola Fel.

The land-holders of Sun County at the time were Animal Nomads. Whatever faith the locals had was through traditional custom rather than conservatism.

> Nevertheless, some of the Far Walkers worshiped Yelm in some other
> way already.

It's wiser to say "the Sun" or "the Sun God". Using "Yelm" invites unnecessary confusion with the Dara Happans.

> When they found the long abandoned temple to Yelm they
> consecrated it, not as a Yelmalian sun dome temple but as an alter
> for the worship of Yelm.

It's unlikely there was a Temple to Yelm in Dragon Pass. More likely the temple ruins was to Elmal, Tharkantus or the Sun Dragon. Why the Far Walkers didn't dedicate the temple to Elmal is an interesting question.

> By the time of the Hero Wars the worshipers of Yelmalter
> have switched to Yelmalio and are trending toward loyalty to Sarter.

I'm not sure how worship of Yelmalio trends towards loyalty towards Sartar given that the Sun Domers actually drift away from Sartar pretty quickly.

--Peter Metcalfe