Re: How to Introduce Glorantha to newbies?

From: Bruce Mason <mason.bruce_at_qqrd_6iqKrQ2oKHyalRwG_S190iv6G2xL2YKTnWHBjj9VMoHnsLLDD3HwOn95aif>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 14:31:43 +0100

2009/8/30 continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_oLQ2vVctgiaXp2boeIBs-8ftqxOZfjqEB4w6X1QfkpKQXIOqHRF1_wE5TfZxD7WfwobifkRpiipQAnzC6C6ccuolBP4RWA.yahoo.invalid>

> So how do you go about introducing new people to your Gloranthan gaming?

Speaking just for myself, I did it just like RQ2. A few names, a place and then on with a story that doesn't rely on Gloranthan knowledge. It's The Hobbit approach basically.

E.g. About 18 months ago I ran a simple pick-up game for a bunch of players who had never played RQ or HQ or even heard of Glorantha. Dragged out on an old Iron Heroes scenario I had picked up from somewhere and gave them some pre-gens. Changed some names, started them the good-old fashioned way - The mayer of Malton on the banks of the Marzeel river wants them to go and find some artifacts in an old-abandoned hill fort a hunter had found and will pay well. They spent the session trekking through some forest, turning the tables on bandits and dealing with giant spiders, rubble runners and animated statues. It could have been anywhere and it's hardly avant-garde story-telling but I name-dropped the odd thing and they had a good enough time that they came back.

Technically speaking I used Glorantha as an arc. While they were busy dealing with the consequences of the first session I would work in at least one scene based on the Gloranthan arc and, because I was running up to the Blood of Orlanth campaign in Second age, I started building in various foreshadowings to that.

I suspect that a problem I keep coming across is that Glorantha becomes the focus of a campaign. I think if the players are the focus of a campaign - after all, in the end stories are about people - then Glorantha can be unveiled slowly. That said, I've never really been that interested in the whole clan and community storytelling angle and that is a lot harder to introduce new players too. I grew up reading too much swords and sorcery and Glorantha is simply my favourite place to role-play those kinds of stories in.