How to Introduce Glorantha to newbies?

From: continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_1ttJ8I0g4j0UsxIZuccVXk2vgXcxpvKPBfvMzGzUU8W7cen7U5DM-ueP0TSotf>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 13:13:32 -0000

So how do you go about introducing new people to your Gloranthan gaming?

What information do you tell them before hand and how did you convey that to them?

One of the main complaints I get when trying to get new players interested in Glorantha is that it is so vast it is hard to get into - people do not know where to start. Much of the setting information is spread over several books, many of which are out of print, and much of it seems incomprehensible. There is also the issue with how race is treated in Glorantha - some people find it boarding on racism. Also the fans are perceived to focus on the esoteric and are very cliquey, certainly not welcoming to any one new or to new ideas. Of course that is only the perception but it is a common complaint I encounter. The Glorantha.com site is a good resource but is still full of information that is often seen as hard to penetrate.

These are big hurdles to get over, I have tried many times, some with success but many times in failure.

So how can we do it?

Darran