Re: How to Introduce Glorantha to newbies?

From: Paul Chapman <estarriol_at_WbITTs9LoEg4T_3cwiaKOr282r3uN6ZcSRBGt7GUqlbEYu7VTUtNBiNx3Y6Oiqmc5t>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 23:41:05 +0100

Hi Darran,

I'd have them play characters in the same boat as them (knowing nothing about Glorantha). I prefer total amnesiacs - I don't think this is hard to justify in Glorantha and can be taken in just about any direction you like. I have used this with a group of players - some of whom had played in Glorantha a decade or more earlier, some of whom were gamers who knew nothing about Glorantha and one who was not a gamer. They woke up from a disturbing dream to find themselves staked out on crosses in the middle of a desert, knowing nothing about themselves, their companions or the world.

It worked so well - both as an introduction to Glorantha and to the HQ system - that I'm absolutely gung-ho about it now, although I think it would work best without any hardcore Gloranthan players in the party. Clearly the "make it up as you go along" style of character generation has endless excuses for working well with this approach; it would take literally 10 minutes to start the game from assembling the players even if they knew nothing about the world or system.

If I can think of a way to wrap this up satisfactorily in a session that's just a few hours long, I'll happily run it as a new player session at Con 2010. Unfortunately I'm an "epic campaign" GM by nature and am not good at convention-style "short story" sessions.

Cheers,
Paul C