Re: How to Introduce Glorantha to newbies?

From: Peter Larsen <p3larsen_at_UdbxdGCHwc4MLFj1vkVA_g6dGtPRUONRBIkCqXbISsOMi-C775oeH6pKaa4qFq7PUJr>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:24:18 -0700

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:13 AM, continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_fPKiWo1C_xgizumTxMkjQKpRNalLhK3Erv9icCSszVNFCivUdsOCPvswK5MF_WnS9fsWD_xRGxVjJ3VXG72uJiElhRqxqw.yahoo.invalid
> wrote:

> So how do you go about introducing new people to your Gloranthan gaming?
>
> What information do you tell them before hand and how did you convey that
> to them?

I have been running an Orlanthi game for a group of four players (only one of whom is at all familiar with Glorantha).

I started with a 5-session cycle which worked through one year, having the players make appropriate rolls for various festivals and season-appropriate tasks (herding, farming, etc). Each session, I had a "focus event" -- a raid, a law case, etc. that allowed them more chance to role-play and interact with NPCs.

They are currently escorting a trading party up to Bagnot (the game is set about 10 years before Grizzly Peak) , which is allowing them to see how other cultures with very similar gods and myths are like. I try to stick a myth into every gaming session.

We had a bit of a break recently, because of awkward schedules, so I asked each player to come up with a story or myth of their own to tell as "campfire stories." This made up one entire gaming session, and was pretty fun for myself and the players. It also got them invested in mythmaking, so that made them feel closer to the stories...

It's working so far.

Peter Larsen