Re: Whoops! There's a Heortling next door... (was: RiG)

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_T_Wst4dm2ZXWU8h7H0seE0mOYBCUhieZPNa9v7S56YSKoqQCztbKqXuBX2s4P3rwZq>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:32:25 +1000

You know those Heortlings! Always with their big noisy cats chasing neighbourhood dogs... chariots with the wheels off littering the front yard...

2009/9/2 stu_stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_LkdObiO__g19DnroAqFgWCrElTXcjgERSt9-P-iK2XwlqWVSvfdXUv6pl3sCp2d67S8o4-188-f9B6dEgcrhRwrWjbOH.yahoo.invalid>:
> Me too, but then I don't always take things very seriously. And find it
> often says more about the intolerantorators than the intolerantees.

"intolerantorator" is an ridiculous term! I am pretty sure I became the House Intolerantorator when I was playing the TES3: Morrowind PC game though...

> THE MARTIAL RACES OF DRAGON PASS, VOL. 2
>
> By Kraxus Zorens (Raibanth, 1594 S.T.). Manuscript octavo. 406 pp. New
> Pelorian. Bound in red leather decorated with silver leaf. Some scuffing.
> Part of a three-volume set detailing the religion, myths, legends, society
> and culture of the warrior-peoples of Kerofinela. Volume 2 covers the human
> tribes—of the Far Place, Sartar, Tarsh and Volsaxiland—and the Kitori.
> (Volume 1 features the Beastfolk and elder races—excepting trolls, which
> appear in volume 3, alongside the Wasp Riders, Telmori, Tusk Riders and
> general index.) The tome's language is parochial, overblown and
> ever-so-slightly homoerotic. Used by the Lunar Army in the 1602 invasion of
> Sartar (and not much thereafter). Its renditions of local names into New
> Pelorian show a curious orthography (e.g. Seelangee, Coortanee, Bacoffee).
> The book gives wildly conflicting information on its subject matter, and in
> some areas is woefully out of date. If consulted prior to interacting with
> these cultures, it provides bonuses/penalties to appropriate skills,
> according to the roll of a D6: 1 -20%, 2 -10%, 3 no change, 4 +5%, 5 +10%, 6
> +20%. The Kitori chapter holds no information of any depth or detail
> whatsoever… but then what's new?

Well I was going to say "very nice", but that'd be untrue - very interesting at least.

I'm expect more parochial paternalistic nonsense to turn up in my Dragon Pass game once the threat of overt violence is a bit less immediate. There'll be all sorts of more or less unsavoury types turning up from the Heartlands to "help" the players in their Inclusion Projects - and no doubt immensely complicate things.

I *really* can't wait for the GG to notice them too.

Does anyone else riff on this sort of stuff in their games? Or is it all scrupulously avoided as being too sensational?

--
John Machin