Re: Homosexuality in Glorantha

From: Grimmund <grimmund_at_COu-Tf3P46ScNy0qKyl19JiB5VcWkaCPNvRAL43aNuZdtZa7enE9E8mvNuYCqwZ7j3v>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:00:19 -0500

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM, markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_MaJtVjFTbOnWpGpgPC9jNCfijG3kKHrZPQlaTDorhtktt_xWca0aXhkPW78yr_mvXHfh0Rnsex1-J8eC9Q.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

I picture the Orlanthi reacting to homosexuality much as the Vikings did to
> ergi

(their own term for it). I.e., twas a deadly insult.

It is my understanding that the Viking men considered rape in general an insult, regardless of the gender of the target, and when using rape as a tool to terrorize a population, were not particularly picky about the gender of the victim. Or, rather, they raped both men and women as a means to an end.

Note the implication: It is ok for a man to use another man; it is not OK to be thus used.

See the longer explanation here, with citations:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/gayvik.shtml

Dan

--

Ha!  Commentary on the Favre/Vikings bit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDhD7ekiQPY