Re: Homosexuality in Glorantha

From: markmohrfield <markmohrfield_at_mUHB3SI1WxkkW-7u-VvQirmo7NaeDxVrgnQjtxGNCRCodCo_Er4A28AHvwYlMh>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:38:00 -0000

Sandy Petersen once posted his beliefs about various Gloranthan cultures attitudes towards homosexuality on the old Gloranthan mailing list. A quick search turned up this. I believe his opinion of the Orlanthi attitude has since been contradicted.

 " Of course it exists. The reaction to it varies enormously by culture. Recent revelations would seem to indicate that the Pelorian sun-culture has a sort of "Don't ask/Don't tell" attitude. I picture the Orlanthi reacting to homosexuality much as the Vikings did to ergi (their own term for it). I.e., twas a deadly insult. I imagine that many tricksters are homosexual in the Orlanthi culture, since insults and mores don't really matter to them. Here exist my opinions for some other cultures. Note that I'm perfectly ready to change these opinions if confronted by interesting evidence to the contrary.

PRAX: shamans are expected to participate in homosexual rituals. It's consider unwholesome for non-shamans. Probably the shamans use slaves or apprentices to sate their lusts.

MALKIONI: clearly a sin against the Invisible God. I suspect homosexuality has a presence among the celibate Rokari priests, but 'tis hidden as much as possible.

KRALORI: homosexuals are required to register with the Imperial Bureaucracy and join the cult of Gen Ke. Homosexuality is considered to be an incurable, non-transmissable disease.

EAST ISLES: no particular opinion. Homosexuality is considered a peculiar quirk, but there's so many quirks in the Isles this one is comparatively minor. There exists one island on which _everyone_ is homosexual. "How do they maintain their numbers?" Good question. Has to do with that island's particular magic.

DORADDI: the Doraddi reaction to homosexuality is much the same reaction they have to seeing someone eating whale blubber. "Blech." But they don't feel like they have to _do_ anything about it. Homosexuals are neither feared nor persecuted. The males, at least, are pitied, since few women will marry them, and so they are permanently low status. Lesbians also lack power, since a husband does increase a household's earning power significantly.

        It's not unknown for a homosexual man to wed a lesbian, so they can work together as a household. There is an enchantment available from Faranar which causes marriage partners to fall deeply and sexually in love with one another. When this spell is performed over a gay marriage, the man and woman become sexually attracted to each other, but not necessarily to any _other_ member of the opposite sex. Thus, the man would lust after his wife, but other women would not be stimulating. This enchantment does not displace previous attachments and committments, and many homosexuals do not bother to avail themselves of it.

        It is commonly believed that Jmijie wanderers have a higher rate of homosexuality than tribesfolk."