Re: Ghouls

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_jFX80VpcZvOK9LeFefPDpHBFl555QbLT3qYzubK9Zt7kBzbR6uZGm0c_AQ5mceDGk>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:38:21 -0700

YGWV On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_kYCk6cIvQ3swLDrZzZCPGZ3be7aEkZAEEjUjhjYoxTYF1pWfRS_bTVHA2D85NVrpFqqZvX0oTwKKqcJYQOBNDvJx.yahoo.invalid>wrote:

> Metaphysically (rather than in terms of a game mechanic, like magic to
> detect undead), is there a way of defining,on a yes/no basis, whether
> something in Glorantha is undead?

Sure. Is it dead? if yes, go to Q#2: Is it animated? If yes, it is undead.

> In terms of RQ mechanics I saw this in terms of being able to regenerate
> magic points/POW automatically over time, but this may just have been my
> Glorantha varying (and it probably has no obvious or useful equivalent in HQ
> anyway). Though I quite like it because it is a way of saying that undead
> are unnatural, horrific (and ni some cases potentially tragic too?) because
> they are cut off from the cycle of life

A very reasonable way to portray it.

> On the subject of ghouls, the old Vivamort cult used to have rune magic
> allowing for limited control over ghouls. Is there any mythic link between
> the two "species", or is this just a handy sorcerous trick that Vivamort
> cultisits can do? Indeed is this power some vampires have over ghouls still
> part of the canon anyway?

Well, yes. BUT, as always, there is a need to understand the WHY. I really, really dislike the pablum of just about everything that came in through D&D. This includes the whole idea that there is a collective category of "undead" that operates in a meaningful way. I best like your suggestion/insight that this is a byproduct of the Vivamort cult.

> Secondly, do ghouls have religious beliefs?

Are they intelligent? Then they probably do.

> If so, what are they like? Is there a god of ghouls?

I know of none. The nature of their society is such that they'd rely on any convenient local entity.

> Would these beliefs be anything like the ghoul religions in Delta
> Green/Call of Cthulhu, for example?

I have no idea. I have not read those works. But YGWV.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer