Arolanit Zzaburi

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_8breccBKiyvW3IU5_-GeiKZLwiSuCY0T6nZz4geThIyXr5KP5jSVNU3Fv8vAiCu2S>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:39:23 -0700

Peter Metcalf Wrote:

> IMO there's
> several different types of Zzaburi and rather than having rigid
> boundaries, such as Zzaburi in Arolanit and Malkioni out of Arolanit,
> the social geography is a lot more confused.

I am going to pursue comments with the assumption that zzaburi = people who use magic exactly the way of Zzabur, i.e. the Brithini way of sorcery. this is intended as a vocabulary correction to keep in line with my previous material.

> 1) the Brithini Exiles. Although kicked out of Brithos for being
> liberals, they are still rather conservative and set in their ways. The
> Exiles would normally be warriors and commoners as the rulers are the
> people doing the kicking out and the Zzaburi of Brithos are generally
> too powerful to be kicked out.

Though some also volunteered, etc.

> There are exceptions - the ruler of
> Arolanit was kicked out of Brithos for political reasons. Any exiles
> found today would be truly orthodox - they'd have to be to survive for
> seven centuries - and intent on being paragons.

Absolutely.

Also, I know that Arolanit was used to house the remnants of the baby generations of the Gbaji Wars period, which were mostly commoners and soldiers.These were true Brithini, just new.

> 2) the Arolanit Zzaburi. IMO Arolanit did not exist before the Great
> Darkness but was created by the Zzaburi from nothing in order to provide
> a testing ground for Zzabur's Great Spell that regenerated the Cosmos.
> Their land is imperfect and incomplete but they are sticking around
> trying to improve it until it becomes indistinguishable from the real
> world. Twenty centuries later and they still have a long way to go.
> These people are intensely powerful but too focused on developing
> Arolanit to be movers and players in Glorantha.

Wow, nice.

> 3) the created Arolaniti - when most people visit Arolanit, they see
> these people and assume them to be ordinary Brithini. They are not.
> They were made by the Arolanit Zzaburi and are close to being magical
> stereotypes and caricatures because they are not quite right. They are
> extremely easy to replace and if killed, the Zzaburi can always snap
> their fingers and make some more.

"Snap of fingers" might be possible for the highest up, but I think most zzaburi sorcerers would have to work hard to make and keep a village of these mademen alive. It is probably easier to have clayboys, perhaps?

But I don't think you intend for these any sorcerers,. Or if so, I eagerly await your insight.

> 4) the other Zzaburi - these are your typical sorcerors found in and
> around thw est from Loskalm through to Tanisor, Nolos, Safelster and
> Umathela. They are the magical providers for their kin and also the
> link between the local Church and Zzabur's great spell. Each and every
> one of them can probably cite a chain of teachers that culminates in
> Zzabur himself.

Their own sorcerous lineage, prehistoric, ancestral. nice.

> 5) the little Brithini. These are the kin of the other Zzaburi. They
> are most often found in other Malkioni lands as nobody real likes living
> in Arolanit. They are chiefly grouped in families around a Zzaburi with
> a Talar acting as a steward/major domo for the Zzaburi. They are a
> Malkioni minority but a recognized one and rarely persecuted.

I suggest they'd (appear to) be clustered around a Talar, as tradition requires.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer