Re: Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_Sn0diRBELYXdwg3k_jW9ECic4gH8f6Ae2WurBbwvmWizutfOxP9VjtHpTTWp1YL8G>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:19:47 -0700

YGWV Peter is as usual on top of everything, and I'll expand published knowledge with some stuff that is new too.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Peter Metcalfe < metcalph_at_FCyTz36eav7uYZvE-z2iUwFLZI-UMcEsd13FUYhqDH3cw7-MZevVKuEnjqWaihBfEhZJpDsD7j7QCmlPFT1Zb8iZUrci.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> > Any information on Brithini Caste Restrictions/Duties?
>
> The only people who can fight are the Warriors.
>
> The only people who can provide for others are the Commoners.
>
> The only people who can throw spells at other people are the Sorcerers.
>
> The only people who can give orders are the Rulers.

The Talars are the people responsible for coordinating the castes' mutual responsibility, and also for all non-violent interaction with outsiders.

> Trying to do the duties of another caste is damaging to one's eternal
> life and should be avoided at all costs.

New Brithini have to be taught this, much to everyone's embarrassment. However, it is easily illustrated and proven among them, and old timers don't even ever consider such an atrocity.

> Obviously there is some overlap - the hunters are commoners -

  1. I am not sure if any true Brithini hunters exist today. I don't think that Brithos after the Dawn has wild forests.
  2. I think that hunting would be done by the soldier class.

> and
> tensions exist within the Brithini society. The Talar keep order by
> telling everybody they know best and encouraging the troublemakers to
> leave so that they'll die of old age.

When I speak of Brithini, I think of the guys on Brithos. Most of them are ancient, dwarf-like in their dedication to an automaton life. They are hive-like, though without a hive mind or anything like that--the closest collective mind would be their protective essences, (which are always non-living entities).

> Personally I think that the Zzaburi society is a lot more dynamic than
> painted in the writeup for Arolanit in the Genertela Book.

I would correct this to be:
Personally I think that the Arolanit society is a lot more dynamic than painted in the Genertela Book.

As Peter clearly points out, the Arolanit society is derived from the Brithini (which really exists only in Brithos now, which is gone). However, the pressure of Time has altered it. I'll go the alternative thread for this.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer