Re: Ghouls

From: simonbrayuk_at_aa63QZB_C-LixdY7b70qhS8f76gVUs_S5oQ55LYOg40z8H0U2D0tiZqPjZC722Ut
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:04:01 -0400

According to Anaxial's Roster Ghouls are Evil Spirits that possess the improprerly buried dead. They are also created by the chaotic Kralorelan entities the Huan To. I think that the 'Evil Spirits' are those of cannibals who break social taboos, that can never rest. I think that their souls cannot rest and are rejected and hounded by the dead that they consumed, and so are driven from the otherworld. This would fit with the story of Brangbane, who is chased by the ghost of the girls he boiled up in his stew. It also gives those haunted and plagued by ghouls an ally against them. I think that in some places mass cannibalism occurs which results in large ghoul nests. For example in Sarro the port could have been ruined by the Closing, people suffered, the city collapsed in on itself, there was mass starvation, the economy collapsed and the poor turned to cannibalism in order to survive. The result was hordes of ghoul spirits that possessed the bodies of the incorrectly interred, however if you can find the sou ls of the cannibals victims you can drive them back.

Simon